Dress and Grooming
Summitt’s dress code is provided in the Monday folder at the beginning of the year and in the district’s Student Code of Conduct and Handbook.
The District’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, instill discipline, prevent disruption, avoid safety hazards, and teach respect for authority. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the general guidelines and student dress code outlined in this packet and the District’s administrative regulation and policy.
Students shall be dressed and groomed in a manner that is clean and neat and that will not be a health or safety hazard to themselves or others. Shoes should be worn at all times. The District prohibits any clothing or grooming that in the principal’s judgment may reasonably be expected to cause disruption of or interference with normal school operations. The District prohibits pictures, emblems, or writings on clothing that: are lewd, offensive, vulgar, or obscene. Advertise or depict tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, or any other substance prohibited under policy FNCF(LEGAL).
Elementary Level Inappropriate Dress
Examples of inappropriate dress at each level shall include, but are not limited to:
- Improperly fitting clothing: baggy pants, oversized shirts, elongated armholes, overly tight garments, and clothes that improperly expose body parts
- Tops that are strapless or backless, that have spaghetti straps, or low cut necklines
- Shorts and skirts that are short enough to be distracting
- Makeup and artificial nails
- Gang-associated clothing or colors
- Hats or caps worn inside the building (except for religious requirements)
For more information visit the Austin ISD web site.
Thank you for your assistance in ensuring that your student is dressed appropriately for school success.