Meet the Teacher Night tomorrow
Come to the cafeteria to find out who your child’s teacher will be! Meet the Teacher will be on Thursday, Aug. 17. Pre-K and Kinder students are welcome from 3:30 – 6 p.m. Grades 1-5 will be from 4-6 p.m.
Class lists will be posted in the cafeteria. The list for Pre-k and Kinder will be available at 3:30 p.m., and the other grades will be available at 4 p.m. They will not be posted earlier than those times.
Ways to order agendas, school spirit shirts, PTA memberships, etc.
- In the cafeteria, you will also be able to purchase t-shirts, annual PTA memberships, headphones, agendas, yearbooks, etc. Forms will be available to fill out to purchase your desired items. YOU MUST PAY FOR ITEMS AT THE CASHIER BEFORE PICKING THEM UP AT EACH STATION. We accept check, cash and credit cards.
- Skip the lines and go online! The Summitt store is open so you can purchase PTA memberships, assignment books, T-shirts, headphones, etc. (NOTE: The T-shirts will be a new design and we will post the picture as soon as the shirts come in.)
- Go to http://summitteagles.org/store/. For some mobile users, the Store is in the menu button that looks like 3 lines. You can pay with credit card or bank transaction via PayPal. The online store will be open until Thursday, Aug. 17 at noon.
- If you ordered school supplies online at the end of the year, your supply kits will already be distributed to your child’s classroom. School supply kits include headphones and agendas for necessary grades, so there is no need to purchase those additional items.
- If you didn’t order supplies online, bring your school supplies to leave in your classroom.
- You can pre-order Yearbooks online, too. Purchase it now for the best price!
- We need volunteers to help make this run smoothly, so please sign up to help: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c044eaaa62ca0f85-meet1
- We love our Summitt alumni! We’d love to have our middle and high schoolers come and help at Meet the Teacher. They can help distribute supplies, show parents to the classrooms, entertain younger students while their parents fill out forms, etc.
- If you have a 5th or 6th grader, they can be “tour guides” for families that need to find their classrooms. We especially need guides at 3:30 pm to help Pre-K and Kinder families find their classrooms. These students can meet at the cafeteria double doors to check in.
Because there will be volunteers setting up and teachers will be getting their classrooms ready, please do not arrive before your designated time.
Boo Hoo Woo Hoo Breakfast
Summitt PTA invites all Pre-K and Kindergarten parents to the Boo Hoo Woo Hoo Breakfast on Aug. 21. After you drop off your student in their classroom, come by the library and chat with Summitt staff, PTA members, and other parents. We need people to donate food items like mini muffins and fruit to the Boo Hoo Woo Hoo breakfast. Please sign up using the following link:
Update on afternoon pick up procedures
Curbside car pick up will be available for students in grades K-5 this year. The pickup line will be in the staff parking lot on Mosley. Parents can request a colored name card to place on the dashboard to facilitate pick up. Teachers will communicate more information at Meet the Teacher and Back to School night. The Vietnamese version is here.
Students will still be able to be picked up in the classroom, ride the bus if eligible, walk home with parent permission, and be released to Extend-a-care/day cares.
Please clearly communicate how your student will get home with your teacher. If there are any changes, the office will need to be notified before noon on the day of the change.
Save the Date: Jason’s Deli
Our first Summitt Family Night will be at Jason’s Deli Arboretum on Thursday, Sept 14th from 5-10. Please RSVP if you plan to come. This will help the restaurant prepare for a larger crowd. Here is the link: https://www.groupraise.com/events/34004
Kinder and Pre-K Playdate
After you have met the teacher, come meet your classmates! Celebrate the end of summer on Saturday, Aug. 19, 9 a.m. at Silver Grill. This is a great way for your student to meet classmates before the first day of school. Food will be available to purchase and there is a playground for the kids.
Girl Scouts Meet and Greet
Come to the Kinder playdate, stay for the Girl Scouts! Please join us for a Girl Scout Meet and Greet for incoming Kindergarteners on Saturday, August 19, at Silver Grill Cafe from 11 am to 1 pm. It’s an opportunity to start making plans for next year, let the girls get to know each other, and answer any questions that you might have about girl scouts. Can’t make it, but would like information about girl scouts, please email email@example.com.
Join the PTA!
Meet the Teacher is this week! This is the perfect time to meet your child’s teacher and show your support for Summitt Elementary by joining the PTA. All are welcome. Remember that just by joining, you are giving funds to support programs that benefit our students. Your membership will last for the current school year. Go to Summitt’s Online store and purchase your membership today.
Work at Summitt
Summitt is hiring cafeteria monitors! Three, four, or five days a week from 10:15am-1:15pm. This is perfect for someone looking for some extra income during the school day. Please apply on the AISD website, austinisd.org, and click Careers in the upper right. The direct link is here: https://www.applitrack.com/austinisd/onlineapp/default.aspx?AppliTrackPostingSearch=location%3A%22Summitt+ES%22
Extra Teacher Professional Development Days
In the Spring 2017, the Anderson Vertical Team Schools (Anderson, Davis, Doss, Hill, Murchison, Pillow and Summitt), began working with the AISD to become District of Innovation Campuses. AISD was recently granted District of Innovation Status from TEA, which allows campuses one option of requesting changes to the school calendar to increase teacher staff development and planning time during the school year. Research states that teachers need quality professional development and planning time to develop highly engaging lessons, which prepare students with 21st century skills. We submitted our plan to become a District of Innovation (DOI) Vertical Team and were approved to begin this plan for the 2017-2018 School Year.
We will be adding three additional Professional Development Days to the 2017-2018 School Year Calendar for the Anderson Vertical Team Schools. These dates are:
Monday, October 23, 2017
Wednesday, January 3, 2018 (Corrected date)
Friday, February 9, 2018
On these three days, campus staff will be involved in professional development, teacher/grade level planning and vertical team planning among campuses. Students will not attend school on the above three dates.Individual campuses will work with parents to provide information about local day cares, should your child need daycare services on these days.
AISD and Community Events
Trojan Spirit Fest
The annual Trojan Spirit Fest will be Sunday, August 27, 4 – 6:30 pm at Anderson High School. Bring the whole family for a fun evening with a giant slide and obstacles course, games and activities hosted by AHS clubs, food trucks, and a pep rally with performances by the AHS band, Cheerleaders and Trojan Belles! You won’t want to miss this fun community event!
Austin Piano School, where piano classes are fun and affordable, will be having a Demo Class and Open House on Saturday, August 19th at 10 am. To register for the demo class go to www.AustinPianoSchool.com. If you’d like to come by the Open House there is no need to register, just come by between 10 am and 1 pm that day. Classes start the week of August 28th. Come see what group piano is all about! (Editor’s Note: some middle school bands require at least 2 years of piano lessons in order for students to play percussion instruments. Percussion is the only band instrument in which the student is required to have prior knowledge of music.)