View the HTML Version
Apr. 1, 2015 Newsletter
View this email in your browser (http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=bcea98ae0f4939e80fb13ccb8&id=1026f21b94&e=[UNIQID])
** Summitt Elementary Eagles Newsletter
Provided by Summitt PTA
Tweets by SummittEagles
PE Blog (http://www.summittelementarype.blogspot.com)
Calendar of Events
Wednesday, Apr. 1 – Summitt Family Night at Chipotle
Apr. 1-2 – STAAR test make-up days
Friday, Apr. 3 – holiday, no school
Friday, Apr. 10 – Rita’s Ice after school
Saturday, Apr. 11 – Spring Fling
Monday, Apr. 13 – PTA general meeting, 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Apr. 14 – Spring Pictures
Apr. 20-22 – STAAR test
Friday, Apr. 24 – Rita’s Ice after school
Tuesday, April 28 – Summitt Family Night at Blue Baker
Friday, May 1 – Rita’s Ice after school
May 4-8 – Teacher Appreciation Week
Thursday, May 7 – Kinder Round-up
Friday, May 8 – Koblenz movie night
May 11-15 – Book Fair
Monday, May 11 – PTA board meeting
Wednesday, May 13 – CATCH Family Fun Night
Friday, May 15 – Rita’s Ice after school
Wednesday, May 20 – Skate Night
Thursday, May 21 – Rita’s ice after school
Friday, May 22 – Bad weather make up day – will have school
May 25 – holiday, no school
May 28-29 – Field Days
Friday, May 29 – Rita’s Ice after school
Tuesday, June 2 – Summitt Family Night at Phil’s Ice House/Amy’s Ice Cream
Thursday, June 4 – Last day of school
Thursday, June 4 – Rita’s ice after school
Summitt Family Night tonight
Join other Summitt families at Chipotle (Parmer/McNeil) tonight from 5-9 p.m. Tell them you’re with Summitt and 50 percent of the proceeds goes to our school!
Spring Fling is in 10 days!
– This week is your last chance to get your Spring Fling wristbands at the pre-sale price of $20. Next week wristbands will be for sale before and after school for $25. The price includes 2 drinks and food at Abel’s North, 6:30-9:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 11.
– We are still looking for volunteers to help sell wristbands next week, set up the auction prior to the event, and other duties during the event. If interested, please email us at email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) .
– Bidding on Classroom Baskets and Teacher Time and Talents – As always, the classroom baskets will be available for viewing and bidding during the week of Spring Fling in the library. This year we will also be making the Teacher Time and Talents available for bidding during the week on the bulletin board in the Great Hall. As in years past, there will be a Buy Now option for the baskets and that will be available ONLY on FRIDAY, APRIL 10th AFTER SCHOOL. If someone attempts to Buy Now prior to FRIDAY AFTER SCHOOL, the bid will be removed. If you choose the Buy Now option on Friday afternoon, you will take the bidding sheet directly to the cashier to pay immediately for that item. Bidding on the Teacher Time and Talents will close at the event on Saturday.
– Like their Facebook page to find out all the latest information and auction items: https://www.facebook.com/springflingsummittelementary
Fourth Grade News
Fourth graders still need some more 2-liter bottles. Please place them in the box in the Great Hall. These bottles will be used to make homemade ecosystems.
Birthday announcements for March 29 – April 11 will be next Friday, April 10, due to the holiday.
Get ready for our author visit with Andy Griffiths on April 7 by ordering your copies of the 13th, 26th, and 39th Story Treehouse! Visit the library blog for an order form and more info. summittlibrary.blogspot.com (http://summittlibrary.blogspot.com/)
Fifth Grade Dance
Calling all 5th grade parents! We are only weeks away from the 5th Grade Dance, which is held in the afternoon after the awards/graduation ceremony. It is up to the parents to organize this event since the teachers are so busy with everything else. If would like to be involved in making the kids first school dance a success email Kynna at email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) .
Open PTA positions
We have the following PTA positions open for the 2015-2016 school year. If you are interested or have questions about these positions, please contact email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)
– Skate Night Coordinator – schedule, advertise for, and attend the 4 skate nights for the school year.
– Homeroom Parent Coordinator – the liaison between the Teacher/PTA and the home room parents. You will provide the information such as dates of class parties, teacher birthday lists, dates of Fall Fest and Spring Fling to the Home Room Parents and answer any questions they have. You will receive a binder and electronic copies of all of the information to hand out.
– Coke Rewards Points Volunteer – collects and enters coke rewards points donated to the school.
– Boosterathon Coordinator – new position that will work with Boosterathon contacts to put on a Boosterathon next spring. Most of the work will be done by the organization, but we need a contact person.
– Father/Daughter and Mother/Son Event Coordinator – new position that will help create ideas, organize, and put on these two events at Summitt. Can be one person who does both or one person for each.
From the Yearbook Editor
A big Thank You to all the photographers who submitted pictures for the yearbook! We were able to use quite a few of the pictures. The yearbook is going to the printers and will be ready mid to late May.
Christmas in Vietnam
Would you like to take a pedicab ride down the Old French Quarters in Ha Noi? Visit the ancient town of Hoi An with its beautiful 16th century Japanese bridge? How about spending a night on a riverboat in Ha Long Bay? A group of Summitt families and staff will venture to Vietnam during Christmas break 2015. On the itinerary are stops in Ha Noi, Ha Long, Danang, Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and the Mekong Delta. There are spots for only 40 people so contact Thuy Nguyen if you’re interested: email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)
Spring pictures rescheduled
Spring pictures have been moved to Tuesday, April 14.
Save these dates for Family Night
We have more Summitt Family Nights lined up this semester, so come out, enjoy a meal with your friends and help raise money for Summitt. More information coming soon regarding specific times.
* Every Saturday: Bullritos (9828 Great Hills Trail) – From noon to 9 p.m. They support all of the Anderson vertical team schools every Saturday during the school year. Just tell them you’re with Summitt and a portion of the sales goes to us.
* Every other Friday: Rita’s ice – 2:30 p.m. at the school entrance. This is until the end of the school year. It’s $3 per cup. Cash only.
* April 1 – Chipotle (6301 W. Parmer at McNeil)
* April 28 – Blue Baker (10000 Research at the Arboretum)
* June 2 – Phil’s Ice House/Amy’s Ice Cream (13265 Hwy 183N)
Kinder registration date change
Pre-K early registration begins the week of April 6; Kindergarten registration has been changed to Thursday, May 7 at 9 a.m. Texas.gov (http://www.texas.gov/en/Pages/default.aspx?utm_source=KindergartenRoundup15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PR) is reminding parents that they can go directly to Texas.gov (http://www.texas.gov/en/Pages/default.aspx?utm_source=KindergartenRoundup15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PR) and order a certified birth certificate (https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/ovra/?utm_source=KindergartenRoundup15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PR) for $22, the same price as a walk-in or mail order. This online service, offered in English and Spanish, provides parents with a straightforward, secure option for ordering their child’s birth certificate (https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/ovra/?utm_source=KindergartenRoundup15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PR) . The orders are fulfilled by the Texas Department of State Health Services (http://bit.ly/1FoxgUm) . Here is a
link to a helpful video demonstration (http://bit.ly/1o6fjQO) found on the Texas.gov YouTube channel on how to order a birth certificate (https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/ovra/?utm_source=KindergartenRoundup15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PR) online. There are also flyers in English (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2U9EyoinyBNQ1IzOTJqUUxWSXNFQjVFNVFwX2d4YlljM1Q4/view?usp=sharing) and Spanish (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2U9EyoinyBNTkFoVnlHZ1NpVXdRVmNuNnNKUjNPeGFXYTBZ/view?usp=sharing) .
AISD AND COMMUNITY NEWS
Football and Cheer registration
Rah, Rah, Did YOU hear? Trojans Pop Warner registration time is here! Fall 2015 season registration for Football and Cheer is available online at www.trojanpw.com (http://www.trojanpw.com/) . Football and Cheer are open to participants ages 5-12 years. Football will have four divisions: Tiny Mite, Mitey Mite, Junior PeeWee and PeeWee. Cheer will be organized into squads for each of the four football divisions. We will offer a Football and a Cheer Skills Clinic on May 17 at Anderson High School. All of the details for Trojans Pop Warner Football and Cheer as well as the May clinics can be found on our website, www.trojanpw.com (http://www.trojanpw.com/) . Questions about football? Contact Myra Adkins (email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) ). Questions about cheer? Contact Jennifer Young (email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) ). Go Trojans Pop Warner Football and Cheer!
Dinosaur George at Pillow Elementary
A traveling museum of Dinosaur George is coming to Pillow Elementary on April 10-11! It is open to the public and will be at Pillow Elem. Gym (3025 Crosscreek Dr), on Fri. April 10th, 6:30 pm-9 pm AND Sat. April 11th, 10 am-4:30 pm. Tickets are $7 per person OR buy 3 get 4th Free. More information about Dinosaur George is here http://www.dinosaurgeorge.com/
Chinese Culture Day
Anderson High School Chinese program is hosting a Chinese Culture Day on Sunday, April 12, 3:30-5:30 p.m. in the Anderson Theater. More information is here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2U9EyoinyBNTWcxTHhpSnA5WHNEOTlCTjJWVHZLX1JtQXlv/view?usp=sharing) .
Help Anderson’s Project Graduation
Shop at The Monogram Lady on Sunday, April 12, from 1-6 p.m. and Anderson will receive 15% back. More information is here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2U9EyoinyBNVUViY3NSZFY4b1VScDNLcU5iRkI5R24wbVI4/view?usp=sharing) .
Inter-stateTeacher of the year nominations
Inter-state, the company that takes student photos, wants to know who you think should be Teacher of the Year. Tell us about a teacher who has made a difference in your life or the lives of others. Submit your entry for a chance to reward them with a $300 classroom grant.
* Grand Prize: $300 Classroom Grant
* 1st Runner Up: $200 Classroom Grant
* 2nd Runner Up: $100 Classroom Grant
https://inter-state.com/Contest/TeacherOfTheYearEntry Deadline to Enter is Monday, April 13th, 2015.
Summer Dance Camps
Offered to girls entering grades 1-10. Taught by Katie Lindsey, Anderson High School Trojan Belle alum, and current sophomore dance education major. Classes will be at Milwood Baptist Church Fellowship Hall off Cassady Dr. For more information and to register visit http://katie-summerdancecamps.weebly.com (http://katie-summerdancecamps.weebly.com/)
Reading Skills and Speed Reading Programs for Children and Adults
This is a summer program offered by Texas Christian University’s Office of Extended Education. It will focus on phonics, comprehension, vocabulary, study skills, speed reading, and love of reading. They offer programs for pre-kindergarten through 12 grade. There are several locations in Austin and Round Rock. We have placed flyers on the information table in the Great Hall. For more information and cost please call 1-800-978-9596, Monday-Friday 7am-9pm, Sat. 7am-6pm, or Sun 9am-5pm.
Austin Child Guidance Center event
ACGC is hosting a FREE Parent Workshop titled, “Divorce and Parental Separation: Helping Children Cope” on Thursday, April 9th from 6:00 to 7:30 PM. This workshop draws primarily from Gary Neuman’s approach to helping families with divorce as described in his book Helping Your Kids Cope with Divorce the Sandcastles Way.You can register here (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0010uLj1B7kfGLebgSQt5hTWMCX7SgW1NA7csHU4zSi9hjLcjkKbUU0bI7VhH44wPzzr85dyuUlwT106ipFSux2FV94pMG4RHEP1yuX8izmZgk7w34OCK1MxAq2v47_giv8WznjZQhPKhRY2r75ZDu6MUAYRwo8B9JUKlPyQOJmr2bB5FSICiVmhOp4HqZQQmJPf65tMabI784jBCuXC387q2QuDYyvb9RyYocnSxMRuP9VW9eA5mwdc_TcMGASZstzGCIUvwbHOR7fZc8273uDJQ==&c=PZSo5vOBX9SXVtQERO3dRKofziWBF9CpZYWVXrRqeFAx1EThqVkvrw==&ch=9YsFimKkdqA7Jy8xi1HrPWrKEvkk2maMf512hUt9UCHZS5tMA01DGQ==) or call the center at 512-451-2242. Free child care will be provided for children two years and up. Space is limited so please reserve early.
Robotics Summer Camp
Enjoy creative problem-solving and hands-on learning with the award-winning Anderson High School Robotics Team. Register now for a mind-building week of fun with LEGO, VEX and NAO robots, quadcopters, & more! July 20-23 and July 27-30, 8:30-4:30 @ Anderson HS, 8403 Mesa Dr., Austin, 78759; for 5th grade & up, $250/week, $275/week after April 1. Registration at www.andersonrobotics.org (http://www.andersonrobotics.org/camps/)
Summer camps at Anderson
Looking for fun camps for your student this summer? Consider camp at Anderson High School. There are many camps for elementary (and older) students this summer: cheer, theater, tennis, football, volleyball, dance, and more. Check out the page with listings: http://www.andersononline.org/ourpages/auto/2015/2/17/42993200/2015%20Summer%20at%20Anderson.pdf
Krispy Kreme Teacher of the Year nominations
The 7th annual Teacher of the Year program sponsored by Krispy Kreme is taking nominations until April 10. Submit nominations and more inforation is at http://krispykremetexas.com/tofyear/teacherform2015.php.
Copyright © 2015 Summitt Elementary School, All rights reserved.
** unsubscribe from this list (http://summitteagles.us8.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=bcea98ae0f4939e80fb13ccb8&id=2ea401ee35&e=[UNIQID]&c=1026f21b94)
** update subscription preferences (http://summitteagles.us8.list-manage.com/profile?u=bcea98ae0f4939e80fb13ccb8&id=2ea401ee35&e=[UNIQID])
Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp