View the HTML Version
Oct. 15, 2014 Newsletter
View this email in your browser (http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=bcea98ae0f4939e80fb13ccb8&id=b560b242a6&e=[UNIQID])
** Summitt Elementary Eagles Newsletter
Provided by Summitt PTA
Tweets by SummittEagles
Calendar of Events
Friday, Oct. 17 – Rita’s Ice after school
Friday, Oct. 17 – Family Game Night cancelled, to be rescheduled
Saturday, Oct. 25 – Fall Fest, 4-7 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 29 – Summitt Family Night, Catfish Parlour
Sunday, Nov. 2 – Daylight Savings Time, Fall Back
Thursday, Nov. 6 – Skate night
Monday, Nov. 10 – PTA board meeting
Tuesday, Nov. 11 – holiday, no school
Nov. 17-21 – Book Fair
Nov. 26-28 – Thanksgiving holiday, no school
No Morning Assembly on Friday
There will be NO assembly on Friday, October 17! Students (Pre-K through 3rd) who enter before 7:30 am and do not eat breakfast will be seated in the Great Hall behind marked grade level cones. All 4th and 5th grade students will be seated in the cafeteria. If you arrive after 7:30 am please go straight to your classroom.
Just 10 days until Fall Fest!
– Thank you everyone who has already signed up for their class booths. A very special thank you to Ms. Banovic’s class that has most slots filled! Ms. O’Connell and Ms. Pettigrew also have nearly filled their slots. We appreciate your help! Here is the link: – http://bit.ly/1pH0VzH. Remember, this is a great opportunity for older siblings to volunteer as well, so please have them sign up..
– We are over halfway to our goal for food and drink from class donations!! Please remember to bring your items to great hall ASAP.For a list of donations needed by grade, please check out our Fall Fest site: https://summitteagles.org/events/fall-fest/
– If you have a long table or cooler to loan during our event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) .
– Tickets on sale in Great Hall NEXT WEEK!! It will be on sale before and after school. Tickets will be 4/$1 and can be purchased in $5 bundles. If you need to pre-order tickets, you can print out the form here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2U9EyoinyBNMmNhU1pzeHY4aFZvU2hBSHUxWlFqamIyZXdn/view?usp=sharing
– Thanks to our generous donors for helping make Fall Fest so great! If you’d like to be a donor, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) for more information.
Jackson Hall – $250
Architecture Demarest – $250
ESP Spares (Baelen & Brad Sather) – 5 years in row $150
Rena DeJuana & Family – 3 years in a row $150
The Ueber Family – 2 years in a row – $150
The Ford Family – 3 years in a row – $100
The Dean Family – 2 years in a row – $100
The Sansoucy Family – $100
Zanna Allen’s Poppy and Grammy – $100
The Carr Family – $100
The Maxfield Family – $100
The Chomel Family, Chomel Originals – 2 years in a row $50
The Martin Family – $50
The Fannin Family – $50
The Bereuter Family – $50
Chris, Brianne, and Betty Lovin – $50
5Star Auto – $50
Mark and Angela Gooden – $50
CenTex Senior Massage, LLC – $50
Suhitha Patil and Family – $50
Rita’s Ice on Friday
Rita’s Italian Ice will be here at 2:30 p.m.on Friday, Oct. 17. It’s $3/per cup. Cash only. A portion of the sales will benefit Summitt PTA.
– Birthday Book Club- This is the last week to submit your child’s name for the Birthday Book Club. It is $10, and the forms can be found in the library. Mrs. Richey will announce birthdays throughout the year, usually on the Friday of that week. Summer birthdays will be done at the halfway point starting with June birthdays in December. This is a great way to support our library and give your child ownership in their library and their reading. If you have any questions, feel free to call Mrs. Richey at 512-414-4249.
– 2nd Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest – The Summitt Library is once again hosting a pumpkin carving contest. This is a chance to show your artistic and creative talents. This year’s theme is ADJECTIVES. Choose your favorite adjective–a word that describes –and somehow make your pumpkin demonstrate that word. What a great chance to get some nerdy -wordy discussions going in your home!
Pumpkins will be judged by students and staff based on whether the child’s effort is apparent, creativity, uniqueness, and theme. Pumpkins can be real or artificial. Pumpkins can be carved, painted, and/or adorned in any school appropriate way.
Pumpkins MUST be submitted to the library by Friday, October 24 at 3:30 pm. Prizes will be awarded for top 3 entries, and participation prizes for all who participate. Winners will be announced at Friday, October 31st, at morning assembly.
– Visiting author, Mark Tatulli – Just in time for Halloween, author and comic creator, Mark Tatulli, will be visiting with Summitt’s 2nd and 3rd graders on Thursday, October 30 at 8:30 am. Pre-sales of his latest book, Desmond Puckett and the Mountain Full of Monsters, will be available soon. Watch your Monday folder for the upcoming fliers. As always, parents are welcomed and encouraged to attend.
Save the Date: Koblenz Holiday Bazaar
The Summitt-Koblenz Exchange program is hosting its fourth annual “Holiday Bazaar” craft and vendor event on Friday, December 5, from 6-9 p.m .Booth space is only $30 (if paid before November 21st; it’s $35 after November 21st). There will also be a Silent Auction! Booth and table rental benefits the Summitt-Koblenz Exchange program. We will advertise the event on the marquee, in the local newspaper, and with the neighborhood association. For more information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, call or text 512-922-0306.
Keep bringing those Box Tops in! Drawings for munchies will be held on Tuesdays. They may be turned into your child’s classroom teacher or placed in the blue box in the office. Your clipped Box Tops help Summitt get extra items that we need. Special thanks to those who’ve submitted Box Tops codes online (extra bonuses)!!
Due to the heavy demand for our Summitt School T-shirts, we have sold out of youth size Small shirts. The smallest size now available to order is youth size Medium which is equivalent to a youth size (10-12). Please email: email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
Balcones Youth Sports Fall Fest
Come out to Fall Fest at Balcones Youth Sports Facilities (3106 Adelphi) on Saturday, Oct. 18 from 4:30 – 7:30pm. There will be a Chili Cook Off (info here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2U9EyoinyBNSTM2TjVyejZXc3ZwZGJqZjQ4WDMxOWtjZ3pn/view?usp=sharing) ), Costume Contest for kids, Vendor Market Place, Carnival Style Games & Moon Walks and a Trunk or Treat! More information is here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2U9EyoinyBNYWlKV25hbWR4Z2NZajVVMFdlRFhFS1htUlRz/view?usp=sharing) .
AISD Board of Trustee candidate forums
The Austin League of Women Voters is sponsoring and moderating a series of forums for the AISD Board of Trustees to which all candidates have been invited. The Austin Council of Parent Teacher Associations is co-hosting these events. The forums are non-partisan events, free and open to the public. Please find time to attend the remaining candidate forums, and get to know your candidates! Candidate Forum Flyer (http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=49l8dbdab&v=001NwCPkktRlazwffdyxeAo0XcUNCWzBGf0ltpQjfV5EzFaTCsiMcu0tK2lYlaY3MjG5640dPMf5hk5i-MN_RIRhwR3r_pQ9eYvvw8Rb7IhXOaI2AvMiI2DADtdPzIMsYvno50lYcIuRpj4Ir63FGs4sgla6cqysViVt1dhLtBW3VbboIITDh-iGQQgZi3grus7xpIg_vBv0UF8we77KVEiARAOuauwgeYRPl6F_UsIgv2NY_shsshi8a80yRFGkaMQaeQRHDBKyPFZRSn8u1MDTCMR4Km1KoWBF55fwEn3uT2xhsdqO7dSJ8nMOz2Vwli86dq6DqERLFH_uXBiqnmJ4i-q-5kcwb1n&id=preview)
Remaining candidate forum dates:
Martin MS (Districts 9 and at large) October 16 (Thurs) 6:30-7:30pm
LBJ (magnets focus) October 19 (Sun) 4pm
A Voters Guide will be available in the Sunday, October 19 edition of the Austin American Statesman, and well as at www.lwvaustin.org (http://www.lwvaustin.org/) . New this year, the Voters Guide will be available in English and Spanish. You can find helpful information and candidate interviews on AISD’s website at http://www.austinisd.org/board/electionhttp://www.austinisd.org/board/election (http://www.austinisd.org/board/electionhttp:/www.austinisd.org/board/election) .
EARLY VOTING – October 20-31
ELECTION DAY – November 4 – you can vote anywhere as long as you have a valid voter id.
Austin Child Guidance Center is hosting a FREE Parent Workshop on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 from 6:00 to 7:30PM. The workshop is titled, “Gaining Cooperation: Helping Your Children Listen and Follow Directions.” This is a workshop for parents, and free childcare is provided at the center for children over 2.
Parenting with an attitude of confidence and respect models to our children that they are safe, loveable, capable people who are willing to do the responsible thing when they see a problem. Sometimes caregivers instinctively rely on commands, warnings, punishments or rewards to gain cooperation with children-which can work depending on the child, but it’s not effective with all children and these methods can corrode the relationship over time, resulting in power struggles and resentment in the relationship. This workshop will give parents strategies to gain cooperation with a wide range of personalities and builds on the unique strengths of each caregiver to connect with the child in a way that’s mutually beneficial. These strategies are suitable for working with children of all ages. Please go here
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ZhfqqLOs3_2QQSEelVEes7ECGRXyyZDlNK2fPSUNJmwngevOTTSt8xkY_vX1eK0c5OrIPNeny42PmLotluIrGWJdR-HMfuUSkC98TTmlOXSgONWZL0CjfeggXW2B9NbFCBxAl7XUDcUaS6nlb265Ri-vlsSAe5XWgSLgKwx_0l-bPf_7yf84J4S2UOo1BRC9_jin5scuLHY3bD1C_ycHhzPcPgsLnMkRn3afOO-Tz_iiGTXCIgX5RAI7h3EVzJadkNRS-POiViWLmEmAXhbCQHd_kh_WPcuPbfd5g3apm1PFlhHKfPdmLFiyRD3Ris6wOo4xl41Kx7J9hHnXu32sZy5jwIaoqqJBqod9snVx2keHaObU8g2PNCVMV9o1o5YfQqnNTWje0b3EDR5T1XbKp5k3gap5JZCBhPOfsB08Lud-MJyCYT85Jg==&c=zPWklg9GZMwMyyA9nx7xM5K0ClNMUrfyPDqbKAS_IkB3JXA0NbfasA==&ch=AkUUYaLk0Nhy2HTkMxIjOI-PB5oF7_JYfvqNU8VKeQozYoCUaTCYTA==) to register or call the center at 512-451-2242 for more information, ask for Mary Klingensmith.
Copyright © 2014 Summitt Elementary School, All rights reserved.
** unsubscribe from this list (http://summitteagles.us8.list-manage1.com/unsubscribe?u=bcea98ae0f4939e80fb13ccb8&id=2ea401ee35&e=[UNIQID]&c=b560b242a6)
** update subscription preferences (http://summitteagles.us8.list-manage2.com/profile?u=bcea98ae0f4939e80fb13ccb8&id=2ea401ee35&e=[UNIQID])
Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp