Summitt Emailer, May 1, 2013
In order to help keep you informed in more ways, we’ve launched a Facebook page and Twitter account. You can Like us on Facebook here and follow us on Twitter here. This will not replace the weekly emailer. We will use these accounts for reminders (“Rita’s Ice will be available after school”) and quick announcements (“students will not be counted as Tardy if it’s raining and the car line is long”). If you post pictures to these accounts, please make sure it’s only of your child or get parent’s permission if other children’s faces are visible. Student safety must be a priority when posting pictures online.
Vote for AISD bond proposals
Early voting has started for AISD’s bond proposals. It is from April 29-May 7. Early voting sites near Summitt include: Ben Hur Shriner’s Hall – 7811 Rockwood Ln (just off Anderson Ln.) and Randall’s Research and Braker – 10900D Research Blvd. Election Day is Saturday, May 11. The Summitt PTA board (which provides volunteers for this emailer and upkeep of our listserv) has voted to support the bond propositions.
Learn all about the bond here. See lists of projects by school at http://www.austinisd.org/bond/
bond-program/by-school. You can click on Summitt and see what projects will be completed here if the bond passes.
Rita’s Ice on Friday
Rita’s Italian Ice will be available after school for Fun Friday, May 3. Only $3 per cup.
Teacher Appreciation Week
Teacher Appreciation Week is May 6-10. Let’s shower our teachers with love next week!
Pre-K and Kindergarten registration
Registration for Pre-K and Kindergarten is Tuesday, May 7 at 9 a.m. Vietnamese Pre-K and Kindergarten registration is on Friday, May 10 at 3:30 p.m. Pre-K and Kindergarten students must be four or five years old on or before September 1, 2013. All students new to Austin ISD must provide a birth certificate, current record of immunizations, child’s last report card, proof of address (rental contract or utility bill with valid address), parent photo identification or driver’s license, and the child’s Social Security Card (optional).
For more information on registration, click here.
Field Day information
Field of Fun Day is set for Friday, May 10th! Below is the schedule. Each grade level will participate in 7 stations, except for 5th grade who will participate in some very special activities. We will have Tug ‘O’ War, Water Balloon Toss, 50-yard dash, Potato Sack Race, Hula Hoop contest, Sponge Relay Race, and a bouncy ball relay. Each station will last about 8-9 minutes, and we have ribbons for our top 3 finishers in the 50-yard dash! Fifth grade will have a Class Relay Race, Class Tug ‘O’ War competition, and a Water Balloon Fight to end the day.
We are asking for donations of popsicles so that the teachers may share those with the students during the day and water bottles for all of our volunteers and 5th graders who will be running Field Day. You can drop those off at the office or the gym.
8-9 am: Kinder
9-10 am: 2nd
10-11 am: 3rd
Noon-12:30 pm: Lunch for Special Areas/Volunteers
12:30-1:30 pm: 1st
1:30-2:30 pm: 5th
The Scholastic Book Fair will be at our school May 13-17 from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (M-Th) and 7:30 a.m. to noon (Fri). The exciting theme for our spring 2013 Book Fair is Story Laboratory: Reading Gives You Super Power! The Book Fair is an incredible energy source for reading, and volunteers are the catalyst for a successful Book Fair. We are seeking volunteers for our Story Laboratory. If you have some time to help us, please do so by signing up to volunteer at VolunteerSpot on the link. We appreciate your support! http://vols.pt/UAXV2o
Summitt Elementary Alumni Scholarship
Summitt Elementary is offering an Alumni Scholarship! The Summitt Elementary Alumni Scholarship is being re-established to recognize former students who have excelled in their academic endeavors, supported their community through various service projects and/or participated in extra-curricular activities, and have proven they possess the drive to further their education. By granting this scholarship we encourage students to pursue their academic endeavors and hope to strengthen relationships between Summitt and its alumni. Click here for the application and here for the criteria. Deadline for submissions is May 17.
AISD and Community Events
– Easter Seals and AISD have a camp guide for Children with Special Needs. Click here for more info.
– Anderson High School Chinese Language and Culture Camp. Make the most of your child’s summer by letting him or her learn the exciting language and culture of of China! Students will learn the Chinese language (e.g., greetings, numbers, colors, animals, and many other topics) and different aspects of the Chinese culture (e.g., arts and crafts, foods, games, festivals and holidays). Classes planned and supervised by Anderson H.S. Chinese teachers, and led by Anderson Chinese program students. When: June 10-14, 2013 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM) Where: Anderson High School (8403 Mesa Drive. Austin, TX 78702) Who: Entering 1st – 5th graders Camp Fee: $100 Registration is open from now until May 15th. For registration forms or more information: tinyurl.com/ahschinesecamp
– Anderson High School is hosting many great camps this summer. Included are baseball, basketball, robotics, softball, soccer, tennis, cheer and theater. More information is here.
– Spend a week participating in structured activities that promote wellness, leadership, and teamwork while having fun! Our Ann Richards School high school students design and facilitate this camp, and we accept 60 girls from grades 3-5 in AISD. Little Stars Camp will take place June 17-21, 2013, and will go from 9 am to 4 pm. This camp costs $60 and is first come, first serve. Click here for registration form and information.
– Anderson High School will be hosting its Anderson Elite Basketball Camp again this summer and we’re looking forward to seeing lots of Summitt Eagles there! This is always a popular camp for our vertical team elementary school students and is run by our outstanding basketball coaches and alumni players. Registration information is here. Questions? Contact Kellye Foster (512) 297-5401
– Trojans Pop Warner Football registration is open. More information is at http://trojanpw.com/
Friday, May 3 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Tuesday, May 7 – Pre-K and Kindergarten registration
Friday, May 10 – Field Day
Friday, May 10 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
May 13-17 – Book Fair in library
Friday, May 17 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Wednesday, May 22 – Family Night at Chuck E Cheese
Friday, May 24 – Fifth grade parade
Monday, May 27 – Memorial Day, no school
Wednesday, May 29 – 4th Grade Talent Show
Thursday, May 30 – Skate night, 6-8 p.m.
Friday, May 31 – Soaring Skyward
Friday, May 31 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Tuesday, June 4 – Fifth Grade celebration and dance
Wednesday, June 5 – Fifth Grade Science Blow out
Wednesday, June 5 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Wednesday, June 5 – Last day of school!