Summitt Emailer, April 10, 2013
Second Grade news
The 2nd graders will be performing the musical show, Hats! on Thursday, April 11 at 6:30 pm. We can’t wait for you to see our talented second graders performing Hats!
Spring Can Contest slips due
Don’t forget to bring in your cans and turn in your slip for the can contest. We’ve made over $500 this year already simply by recycling. Help Summitt be GREEN!
Autism Awareness T-shirts
April is Autism Awareness Month. You may have seen Summitt teachers and staff wear blue autism awareness T-shirts. If you would like to order one, there will be a sign-up sheet in the teachers lounge and in the front office. They are $10.00 each and come in Children’s S, M, L and Adult S, M, L XL (add $3.00 per shirt if it is a 2X or 3X). Please place your order before Friday, April 19. If you have questions, please contact Christina Baez, email@example.com.
Spring Fling News
– Don’t forget to support your classroom creation!
– Spring Fling – April 20th 4-7 p.m. This fun event will have dinner from Jason’s Deli, dancing and a concert from Joe McDermott.
– If you have not purchased tickets in your Monday folder yet, you can get tickets before and after school next week.
– We need volunteers to make this event possible. We’re using VolunteerSpot to organize our Spring Fling Volunteers. Note: VolunteerSpot does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please sign up for Spring Fling 2013 – here’s how it works in 3 easy steps:
1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/EqHCXR
2. Enter your email address: (You will NOT need to register an account on VolunteerSpot)
3. Sign up! Choose your spots – VolunteerSpot will send you an automated confirmation and reminders.
AISD bond information meeting
AISD is hosting a bond information meeting in the library on Wednesday, April 24 from 6-7:30 p.m. Learn all about the bond at http://www.austinisd.org/bond. See lists of projects by school at http://www.austinisd.org/bond/
bond-program/by-school. You can click on Summitt and see what projects will be completed if the bond passes.
AISD and Community Events
– Before going to Spring Fling, come out and support Balcones Youth Sports at Balcones Day on Saturday, April 20 at 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This fun-filled day is BYS’s largest fundraising event and all the proceeds go to BYS to pay for maintenance and utilities of our fields and also helps keep registration costs down. There will be carnival style booths with games and moonwalks for the kids, silent auction, coaches baseball game, and much more. More information is here.
– Family Support Coop is hosting presentations on Tuesday April 30, from 6-8 p.m. at Eastside Memorial High School, 1012 Arthur Stiles Road. Topics include Fostering Home & School Success for ADHD, Autism, Siblings and Family, Pathways to Adulthood, and more. There is also a Spanish Autism Support Group. Free childcare is provided. Click here for more information on topics and groups.
– Anderson High School Chinese Language and Culture Camp. Make the most of your child’s summer by letting him or her learn the exciting language and culture of of China! Students will learn the Chinese language (e.g., greetings, numbers, colors, animals, and many other topics) and different aspects of the Chinese culture (e.g., arts and crafts, foods, games, festivals and holidays). Classes planned and supervised by Anderson H.S. Chinese teachers, and led by Anderson Chinese program students. When: June 10-14, 2013 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM) Where: Anderson High School (8403 Mesa Drive. Austin, TX 78702) Who: Entering 1st – 5th graders Camp Fee: $100 Registration is open from now until May 15th. For registration forms or more information: tinyurl.com/ahschinesecamp
– Anderson High School is hosting many great camps this summer. Included are baseball, basketball, robotics, softball, soccer, tennis, cheer and theater. More information is here.
– Spend a week participating in structured activities that promote wellness, leadership, and teamwork while having fun! Our Ann Richards School high school students design and facilitate this camp, and we accept 60 girls from grades 3-5 in AISD. Little Stars Camp will take place June 17-21, 2013, and will go from 9 am to 4 pm. This camp costs $60 and is first come, first serve. Click here for registration form and information.
– Have you ever fancied yourself performing Romeo & Juliet on stage? Would you like to spend two weeks this summer learning about stage props and costumes? If yes, then register to join Shakespeare Camp, directed by Catherine Haynes and JoEllen Claybrook, fourth grade teachers at Hill Elementary. Date: June 12-26, live performance Tuesday evening, June 25. Time: 9 a.m.-2:00 p.m. each weekday at Hill Elementary (8601 Tallwood, Austin 78759). Cost: $399. Make checks payable to Catherine Haynes, 4206 Shoalwood Ave., Austin, Texas 78756. Include a non-refundable deposit for $100. Remaining balance is due on Wednesday, June 12th (the first day of camp). Registration process closes no later than Friday, April 12th. Questions: Catherine Haynes, email@example.com
; JoEllen Claybrook, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Anderson High School will be hosting its Anderson Elite Basketball Camp again this summer and we’re looking forward to seeing lots of Summitt Eagles there! This is always a popular camp for our vertical team elementary school students and is run by our outstanding basketball coaches and alumni players. Registration information is here. Questions? Contact Kellye Foster (512) 297-5401
– Trojans Pop Warner Football registration is open. More information is at http://trojanpw.com/
Thursday, April 11 – 2nd grade musical
Saturday, April 20 – Spring Fling
Tuesday, April 23 – General PTA meeting
Tuesday, April 23 – STAAR test
Wednesday, April 24, STAAR test
Wednesday, April 24 – AISD bond information meeting in library
Friday, May 3 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Tuesday, May 7 – Leap into Kindergarten registration
Friday, May 10 – Field Day
Friday, May 10 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
May 13-17 – Book Fair in library
Friday, May 17 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Wednesday, May 22 – Family Night at Chuck E Cheese
Friday, May 24 – Fifth grade parade
Monday, May 27 – Memorial Day, no school
Wednesday, May 29 – 4th Grade Talent Show
Thursday, May 30 – Skate night, 6-8 p.m.
Friday, May 31 – Soaring Skyward
Friday, May 31 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Tuesday, June 4 – Fifth Grade celebration and dance
Wednesday, June 5 – Fifth Grade Science Blow out
Wednesday, June 5 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Wednesday, June 5 – Last day of school!