Which class will win the Can Recycling Trophy? Help earn money to improve Summitt’s Campus. Participate in the Spring Recycling Can Contest by bringing aluminum beverage cans. If your class brings the most cans it wins an ice cream party along with the trophy. The top 5 students also win cool prizes. Drop off your cans at the trailer by the basketball court. Fill out the form that is in the Monday folder or write your name, homeroom teacher and # of cans on a slip of paper and turn it in the Can Contest container next to the Pop Top House in the Great Hall. The last day to turn in the slips is April 10. The winners will be announced on April 12. Go Green!!!! Any questions?? Ask Sharon Reed at email@example.com
Rita’s Ice on Thursday
Rita’s Italian Ice will be available after school on Thursday, March 28. It’s $3 per cup.
Spring Fling News
– Are you a Summitt Parent with a business? Please consider making a donation for our silent auction. We look forward to recognizing your business as a Summitt Family Business. Please contact SpringFlingDonations@gmail.com
. Be on the lookout for Spring Fling ticket order forms will be in the Monday folder on 4/1/13. Join us on Saturday, April 20, 4-7PM for dinner, dancing, and fun entertainment! We want to thank our wonderful supporters for their generosity. Click here for a list of donors.
– Are you an outgoing, vocal person who can stand in front of a crowd and talk? If yes, we need you for Spring Fling to be our live auctioneer. You will have help spotting bids, but we need a person to introduce the items and lead the bidding. If you are interested please contact our Spring Fling Committee at SpringFlingDonations@gmail.com
Free Vietnamese language class
If you believe learning other cultures helps you develop your own personality and broaden your perspective on the world, if you believe in learning a second language benefits higher order, abstract and creative thinking, then attending our Vietnamese Language class is for you. The Vietnamese American Community of Austin is offering Vietnamese Language class.
When: April 6, 2013 from 10:00am-12:00pm
Tuition cost: Free
Who: Students, young adults and adults
Where: 1006 E Yager Lane, Bldg 2, Ste 205 Austin, Texas 78753
For more information please visit http://www.vacat.org/
Third Grade news
Third grade is now collecting paper towel rolls for our rocket project; please save them and bring them to the collection box in the Great Hall.
PTA thanks you!
– The Ultimate Fitness Challenge raised $7,250 for PTA to use on Summitt needs! This exceeded our expectations considerably. There were about 200 students out of 800 who collected pledges. The student who collected the most money was Avery Mosley, a 2nd grader in Ms. Lockhart’s class, with $600! For being the top earner, Avery will receive a $50 Toys R Us gift certificate from the PTA in addition to the fitness bag from All-Star Active.
– Thanks to all your support of our recent events that make money for the PTA!! Most recently, you came out in droves to Chuck E Cheese’s and we made $356, so thank YOU! And a special thanks to those teachers and staff who attended and got a FREE meal for coming 🙂 We of the PTA couldn’t do this without your time and support, so THANKS!!!
Purchase Your Yearbook – Remember to purchase your Summitt Yearbook!!! The deadline is this Friday, March 29th. If necessary check in the office whether you’ve already purchased a yearbook. Pick up an order form on the table in the main hall, or order your yearbook online at: www.inter-state.com/store/
preorder and enter the code 191491. If you choose to order by check, please MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE to Summitt PTA for $20.
AISD Bond information
AISD has posted a video and information about the Bond package at http://www.austinisd.org/bond. The election for the $890 million bond program is May 11, with early voting on April 29-May 7.
Vote for your Teacher of the Year
Krispy Kreme Texas wants you to nominate your favorite teacher for Teacher of the Year. Go to this page: http://krispykremetexas.com/
tofyear/teacherform2010.php and fill out the form. The deadline is Friday, April 5. Prizes range from $100-$500 for the teacher and a matching award to the teacher’s school.
AISD and Community Events
– Anderson High School will be hosting its Anderson Elite Basketball Camp again this summer and we’re looking forward to seeing lots of Summitt Eagles there! This is always a popular camp for our vertical team elementary school students and is run by our outstanding basketball coaches and alumni players. Registration information is here. Questions? Contact Kellye Foster (512) 297-5401
– The STEM Council at Skillpoint Alliance offers FULL-DAY Innovation Camps for all the kids in your family, including camps for those as young as six years old. Register for STEM Innovation Camps by March 31 to get 25% off. Use discount code MARCH25% at checkout. More information is at http://stemcamps.org/.
– AISD Parent Support Office is offering a free mini workshops in March and April: Parenting with Love and Logic provides you simple and practical techniques that make you more effective at raising your children. It gives you the tools to effectively handle challenging behaviors. Click here for more information. True Colors workshop can help individuals learn to improve understanding of themselves and others through the recognition and expression of their true character. More info here. Classes are at various schools.
– AISD is presents Reggie Clayton, Internet Safety Specialist, to talk about What Every Parent Needs to Know About Social Media (and what kids are doing online) at Anderson High School, April 3, 7-8:30 p.m. More information here.
– The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest invites children in grades K-3 to create stories using their own words and pictures, and recognizes their efforts with certificates and prizes. Parents, teachers, and librarians are encouraged to help children participate in the Contest. Deadline is April 6. More information here.
– Trojans Pop Warner Football will open registration in April. More information is at trojanpw.com.
– Austin Child Guidance Center is offering a series of FREE workshops for parents on Feb. 21, March 21 and April 18. These workshops address a variety of topics of interest to parents. The workshops are held in the evening (from 6 pm to 7:30 pm) at our center, and free childcare is available. The workshops are offered at no cost, but we have a limit on the number of participants, so please visit our website for more information and to sign up. More information here. There are also a limited number of spots left for the following groups: Social Skills/Making Friends Group, Conflict Resolution Skills/Anger Management Group, and ADHD Parenting Group. Contact the center at 512-451-2242 for more information.
Thursday, March 28 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Friday, March 29 – Student holiday, no school
Tuesday, April 2 – STAAR test
Wednesday, April 3 – STAAR test
Friday, April 5 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Saturday, April 20 – Spring Fling (New date!)
Tuesday, April 23 – General PTA meeting
Wednesday, April 24, STAAR test
Friday, May 3 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Tuesday, May 7 – Leap into Kindergarten registration
Friday, May 17 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Monday, May 27 – Memorial Day, no school
Thursday, May 30 – Skate night, 6-8 p.m.
Friday, May 31 – Soaring Skyward
Wednesday, June 5 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Wednesday, June 5 – Last day of school