Summitt Emailer March 20, 2013
On March 18, AISD approved the appointment of Ms. Dedra Standish as Principal of Summitt Elementary School. Congratulations, Principal Standish!
Free Rita’s Ice today!
Come by Rita’s Ice off Parmer/McNeil on Wednesday, March 20 and get a free Spring Cup of Ice. They are one of our best supporters and we want to show them our support. There are other specials today, so come out and enjoy the first day of spring!
Summitt Movie Night
Come join the fun at Summitt Movie Night on Friday! We will be showing Wreck-It Ralph and Hotel Transylvania in the cafeteria and Great Hall on Friday, March 22nd. A ticket will get you a snack pack with popcorn, a sweet and a drink. Be sure to bring a blanket to sit on. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the movies start around 7 p.m. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Tickets are $5 each if purchased before and after school in the Great Hall on Tuesday – Friday, March 19-22. They will be $6 at the door that night, so be sure to buy your tickets early. Cash and checks accepted. Proceeds will benefit the Koblenz Exchange fund.
Auctioneer needed for Spring Fling
Are you an outgoing, vocal person who can stand in front of a crowd and talk? If yes, we need you for Spring Fling to be our live auctioneer. You will have help spotting bids, but we need a person to introduce the items and lead the bidding. If you are interested please contact our Spring Fling Committee at SpringFlingDonations@gmail.com
Third Grade news
Third grade is now collecting paper towel rolls for our rocket project; please save them and bring them to the collection box in the Great Hall.
PTA thanks you!
Thanks to all your support of our recent events that make money for the PTA!! Most recently, you came out in droves to Chuck E Cheese’s and we made $356, so thank YOU! And a special thanks to those teachers and staff who attended and got a FREE meal for coming 🙂 We of the PTA couldn’t do this without your time and support, so THANKS!!!
Purchase Your Yearbook – Remember to purchase your Summitt Yearbook!!! The deadline is March 29th. If necessary check in the office whether you’ve already purchased a yearbook. Pick up an order form on the table in the main hall, or order your yearbook online at: www.inter-state.com/store/
preorder and enter the code 191491. If you choose to order by check, please MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE to Summitt PTA for $20.
Lost and Found
Our lost and found has accumulated a large amount of coats, jackets, and clothing. We will place these items in the Great Hall. If your child has lost an item of clothing please check to see if it might have been placed in the lost and found. ALL ITEMS WILL BE REMOVED AND DONATED FROM THE LOST AND FOUND ON FRIDAY, MARCH 22.
AISD Bond information
AISD has posted a video and information about the Bond package at http://www.austinisd.org/bond. The election for the $890 million bond program is May 11, with early voting on April 29-May 7.
Vote for your Teacher of the Year
Krispy Kreme Texas wants you to nominate your favorite teacher for Teacher of the Year. Go to this page: http://krispykremetexas.com/
tofyear/teacherform2010.php and fill out the form. The deadline is Friday, April 5. Prizes range from $100-$500 for the teacher and a matching award to the teacher’s school.
AISD and Community Events
– Join your local Walgreens on Saturday, March 23 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. for a community Egg Hunt. It will be at Balcones Park. Donations will be accepted benefiting the Arthritis Foundation. Hot dogs and games are included!
– The STEM Council at Skillpoint Alliance offers FULL-DAY Innovation Camps for all the kids in your family, including camps for those as young as six years old. Register for STEM Innovation Camps by March 31 to get 25% off. Use discount code MARCH25% at checkout. More information is at http://stemcamps.org/.
– AISD Parent Support Office is offering a free mini workshops in March and April: Parenting with Love and Logic provides you simple and practical techniques that make you more effective at raising your children. It gives you the tools to effectively handle challenging behaviors. Click here for more information. True Colors workshop can help individuals learn to improve understanding of themselves and others through the recognition and expression of their true character. More info here. Classes are at various schools.
– AISD is presents Reggie Clayton, Internet Safety Specialist, to talk about What Every Parent Needs to Know About Social Media (and what kids are doing online) at Anderson High School, April 3, 7-8:30 p.m. More information here.
– The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest invites children in grades K-3 to create stories using their own words and pictures, and recognizes their efforts with certificates and prizes. Parents, teachers, and librarians are encouraged to help children participate in the Contest. Deadline is April 6. More information here.
– Trojans Pop Warner Football will open registration in April. More information is at trojanpw.com.
– Austin Child Guidance Center is offering a series of FREE workshops for parents on Feb. 21, March 21 and April 18. These workshops address a variety of topics of interest to parents. The workshops are held in the evening (from 6 pm to 7:30 pm) at our center, and free childcare is available. The workshops are offered at no cost, but we have a limit on the number of participants, so please visit our website for more information and to sign up. More information here. There are also a limited number of spots left for the following groups: Social Skills/Making Friends Group, Conflict Resolution Skills/Anger Management Group, and ADHD Parenting Group. Contact the center at 512-451-2242 for more information.
Friday, March 22 – Posed pictures Day
Friday, March 22 – Summitt Movie Night
Thursday, March 28 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Friday, March 29 – Student holiday, no school
Friday, April 5 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Saturday, April 20 – Spring Fling (New date!)
Friday, May 3 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Tuesday, May 7 – Leap into Kindergarten registration
Friday, May 17 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Monday, May 27 – Memorial Day, no school
Thursday, May 30 – Skate night, 6-8 p.m.
Wednesday, June 5 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Wednesday, June 5 – Last day of school