Chuck E Cheese Family Night on Thursday
Chuck E Cheese will make a special appearance after school on Thursday! Students will receive a sticker they can trade in for free tokens. Summitt’s Chuck E Cheese family Night will be March 7. Come join other Summitt families for a night of fun, games and dinner, too! All purchases made at the COUNTER will count toward the amount Chuck E Cheese will donate to Summitt. This includes tokens, food, drinks and more. See you there between 3-9PM.
Turn in pledge money by Friday!
Students are bringing in their collected pledges from the Ultimate Fitness Challenge fundraiser this week. All money is due back in classrooms no later than Friday, March 8, so it’s still not too late to donate! Remember, if every student brings in even $10, the PTA would pocket $4,000 for our school’s needs. Checks should be made out to Summitt PTA. Prizes will be shipped to our school 2 to 4 weeks after March 8. We’ll let you know what the final total is. Comments or questions? Contact Jinanne Tillett (email@example.com).
Enjoy some Rita’s Ice on Friday
Rita’s Italian Ice will be at Summitt for Fun Friday after school this Friday, March 8. Enjoy some ice cold treats for $3 a cup.
Yearbook Photo Submission Deadline – If you’re wanting to submit photos for the yearbook, please submit them by this Friday, March 8th!!! Especially needed photos: Koblenz trip and delegation photos!, Fitness Challenge and Safety Patrol. Other photos are welcome as well! Please submit pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purchase Your Yearbook – Remember to purchase your Summitt Yearbook!!! The deadline is March 29th. If necessary check in the office whether you’ve already purchased a yearbook.
Pick up an order form on the table in the main hall, or order your yearbook online at:
See Mr. T on AISD TV!
Catch our 3rd grade teacher, Thuan Tang, aka Mr. T., featured in a profile on Inside AISD. It is scheduled to air Thursday, March 7th at 6:30pm. Other topics covered in the episode are Feria Para Aprender, Fulmore Middle School choir, Travis High School culinary arts students and information on the new AISD Parent Cloud. The AISD channel is on channel 22 with Time Warner and Grande Communications, and on channel 99 with AT&T U-verse.
Lost and Found
Our lost and found has accumulated a large amount of coats, jackets, and clothing. We will place these items in the Great Hall beginning March 6. If your child has lost an item of clothing please check to see if it might have been placed in the lost and found. ALL ITEMS WILL BE REMOVED AND DONATED FROM THE LOST AND FOUND ON FRIDAY, MARCH 22.
Summitt Movie Night
Come join the fun at Summitt Movie Night! We will be showing Wreck-It Ralph and Hotel Transylvania in the cafeteria and Great Hall on Friday, March 22nd. A ticket will get you a snack pack with popcorn, a sweet and a drink. Be sure to bring a blanket to sit on. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the movies start around 7 p.m. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Tickets are $5 each if purchased before and after school in the Great Hall on Tuesday – Friday, March 19-22. They will be $6 at the door that night, so be sure to buy your tickets early. Cash and checks accepted. Proceeds will benefit the Koblenz Exchange fund.
Letter from the Superintendent
Supt. Meria Carstarphen has posted a letter to the AISD community about the bond program that will be up for election. The letter is here. The election for the $890 million bond program is May 11, with early voting on April 29-May 7. Click here for a breakdown of the bond package. More information on the bond is at www.austinisd.org/bond.
AISD Parent Cloud
This week, the Office of Technology launched the AISD Parent Cloud, an easy to use, one-stop location for parents to access their child’s information in order to support their overall academic success from anywhere, anytime, on any device. By using AISD’s Parent Cloud, parents will be able to obtain current information regarding their child’s academic standing, navigate district-wide resources and find links to other important services. From tracking grades, attendance and test scores to planning for graduation, the site provides everything parents need at the touch of a button. The AISD Parent Cloud is compatible with all smart devices, available in English and Spanish and can be accessed through the Internet at https://my.austinisd.org.
AISD continues to lead the way in cloud computing for educational institutions, resulting in significant savings for the district. The AISD Parent Cloud supports the district’s broader efforts to close the digital divide for our stakeholders and increase overall transparency.
Vote for your Teacher of the Year
Krispy Kreme Texas wants you to nominate your favorite teacher for Teacher of the Year. Go to this page: http://krispykremetexas.com/
AISD and Community Events
– Manos de Cristo is offering computer classes for $30. Registration is March 5-6. Classes start March 18. Topics introduced and practiced include basic typing, word processing, Internet navigation, email, and the
use of spreadsheets. Classes are taught in English and Spanish and meet twice a week for two hours. Classes are at 4911 Harmon Avenue, Austin, TX 78751. More information here.
– Join your local Walgreens on Saturday, March 23 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. for a community Egg Hunt. It will be at Balcones Park. Hot dogs and games are included!
– AISD Parent Support Office is offering a free mini workshops in March and April: Parenting with Love and Logic provides you simple and practical techniques that make you more effective at raising your children. It gives you the tools to effectively handle challenging behaviors. Click here for more information. True Colors workshop can help individuals learn to improve understanding of themselves and others through the recognition and expression of their true character. More info here. Classes are at various schools.
– AISD is presents Reggie Clayton, Internet Safety Specialist, to talk about What Every Parent Needs to Know About Social Media (and what kids are doing online) at Anderson High School, April 3, 7-8:30 p.m. More information here.
– The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest invites children in grades K-3 to create stories using their own words and pictures, and recognizes their efforts with certificates and prizes. Parents, teachers, and librarians are encouraged to help children participate in the Contest. Deadline is April 6. More information here.
– Trojans Pop Warner Football will open registration in April. More information is at trojanpw.com.
– Austin Child Guidance Center is offering a series of FREE workshops for parents on Feb. 21, March 21 and April 18. These workshops address a variety of topics of interest to parents. The workshops are held in the evening (from 6 pm to 7:30 pm) at our center, and free childcare is available. The workshops are offered at no cost, but we have a limit on the number of participants, so please visit our website for more information and to sign up. More information here. There are also a limited number of spots left for the following groups: Social Skills/Making Friends Group, Conflict Resolution Skills/Anger Management Group, and ADHD Parenting Group. Contact the center at 512-451-2242 for more information.
Thursday, March 7 – Family Night at Chuck E Cheese 3-9 p.m.
Friday, March 8 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Sunday, March 10 – Daylight Savings Time, Spring Forward
March 11-15 – Spring Break, no school
Friday, March 22 – Posed pictures Day
Friday, March 22 – Summitt Movie Night
Thursday, March 28 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Friday, March 29 – Student holiday, no school
Friday, April 5 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Saturday, April 20 – Spring Fling (New date!)
Friday, May 3 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Friday, May 17 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Monday, May 27 – Memorial Day, no school
Wednesday, June 5 – Rita’s Italian Ice after schoolWednesday, June 5 – Last day of school.