The money goes farther with the Ultimate Fitness Challenge!
Did you know that most fundraising options for PTA yield only 25 percent of profits? The Ultimate Fitness Challenge on March 1 is different! All-Star is sharing the collections 50/50 with our PTA, and 100 percent of PTA money benefits your student! And did you know that if each Summitt student collected even just $10, our school would gain $4,000? With Spring Fling still lacking a leader, we may lose our technology teacher, so this fundraiser could really help us hang on to Ms. Neill. (AISD does not provide elementary schools with a computer teacher. PTA raises the funds for a computer teacher.)
So please pitch in by helping your kids get pledges, or consider donating a flat amount of $10 or $20. But remember, prizes are given at the $50, $100 and $200 paid levels! Top 10 percent of sellers can enter a drawing for an Wii Fit, Xbox 360 Kinect, or PlayStation 3.
If you would like to help direct kids through the obstacle course on March 1, please sign up at http://vols.pt/eNUX2u. Shifts are about 50 minutes long. See the course in action at http://www.allstaractive.com/
AISD parent survey forms
AISD has parent surveys available online until March 30. The surveys are available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. The paper forms will be sent home with students on Tuesday, February 19. If you choose to complete the survey online you may recycle the paper form. Remember – parents should only complete one survey per child – either online or paper form, not both. http://www.austinisd.org/
Once available, the results of our survey will be distributed to campus principals, district administrators, as well as the Board of Trustees. Our community can also view the results when the reports are posted to the AISD website this spring
BOW WOW Program in February
Don’t forget to walk or bike to school every Wednesday in February! On Feb. 6, 13, 20 and 27, students who bike or walk to school are eligible to be in a drawing to win a bike. The City of Austin’s Child Safety Program will award one girl’s bike and one boy’s bike.
Thank you from the art teachers!
Thank you to all the wonderful parents who brought cardboard and paper towel rolls for our paper mache art project. We now have enough at school for our project so please continue to recycle your cardboard at home 🙂 Cynthia Worsham
Website for questions, concerns about our locked campus
Do you have questions about Summitt’s Locked Campus Policies? A Summitt parent has created a page for parents to gather information, ask questions, and share concerns regarding the campus. You may post your opinions, questions, and suggestions anonymously to this website: http://summittlocked.blogspot.
Need Crossing Guard
We have lost our afternoon crossing guard at Amherst and Mosley and are in desperate need to hire someone as soon as possible. If you can spare one hour and get paid doing so, you are who we need!
2:25 – 3:35 MONDAY – FRIDAY; $15.00/DAY
CONTACT: CHRISTI SHORES, CHILD SAFETY PROGRAM SUPERVISOR, email@example.com, 512-784-4479
Celebrate National School Counseling Week
National School Counseling Week is February 4 – 8th, 2013. National School Counseling Week, sponsored by American School Counseling Association/ASCA, highlights the tremendous impact school counselors can have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career.
Please tell our wonderful counselors, Ms. Stogdill and Ms.Cumming, how much we appreciate them. You can send them a note or click here to print out a form.
Parent Teacher Conference Day on Feb. 18
There is no school on Monday, Feb. 18. There will be parent teacher conferences for your child(ren) that day. Click here for a flyer with a list of questions you can ask the teacher.
News on Spring Fling
We need 1 or 2 coordinators for Spring Fling on Saturday, April 13. Please contact Julia Fannin, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information. A letter to the Summitt Community about the importance of Spring Fling is here. Contact Us Now at email@example.com to help make this critical fundraising event a success!
Remember to purchase your Summitt Yearbook!!! Student artwork will be featured on the cover and back, and your students will be featured within! Pick up an order form on the table in the main hall, or order your yearbook online at: www.inter-state.com/store/
If you choose to order by check, please MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE to Summitt PTA for $20.
AISD and Community Events
– Looking for an all-day, quality, affordable, licensed by the State of Texas child care program for summer? Extend-A-Care for Kids’ Summer Day Camp is the place to keep your children physically active and engaged in learning activities while they make new friends and have new experiences. Campers will have adventures on weekly field trips and swim trips twice a week. Throughout the summer your child will experience a variety of enriching activities such as science/math projects, arts & crafts projects, cooking projects, basketball, soccer, baseball, flag football and much more! Our summer curriculum is based on weekly themes from children’s literature books which offers children a constant source of new and interesting material and activities. Register today and receive more information at www.eackids.org or 512-472-9402.
– Easter Seals and AISD has posted a camp guide for children with special needs. There are day camps as well as overnight camps.
– Austin Child Guidance Center is offering a series of FREE workshops for parents on Feb. 21, March 21 and April 18. These workshops address a variety of topics of interest to parents. The workshops are held in the evening (from 6 pm to 7:30 pm) at our center, and free childcare is available. The workshops are offered at no cost, but we have a limit on the number of participants, so please visit our website for more information and to sign up. More information here. There are also a limited number of spots left for the following groups: Social Skills/Making Friends Group, Conflict Resolution Skills/Anger Management Group, and ADHD Parenting Group. Contact the center at 512-451-2242 for more information.
– Family Support Co-op provides free workshops, information and support for families of children with disabilities. The workshop is on Tuesday, February 26 from 6‐8 p.m. at Eastside Memorial High School, 1012 Arthur Stiles Road, Austin, TX 78721. A light meal and childcare will be provided. More info here.
– Austin Learning Academy has free Citizenship classes for those preparing to become United States Citizens. Please call (512) 841-0807. More info here.
– 14th Annual African American Community Heritage Festival is Saturday, February 23 from 1-5 p.m. at Huston Tillotson University, 900 East Chicon St. AACHF offers a family-friendly extravaganza filled with games and vendors; providing a Kid’s Zone with bounce houses, safety demonstrations, arts & crafts, home décor, books, clothing, jewelry, storytelling, health, vision and dental screenings and insurance outreach coupled with dance, giveaway prizes and a live entertainment. More info here.
– The University of Texas has their annual Explore UT Open House on Saturday, March 2 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Summitt 5th Graders will be there for a volleyball event. Explore UT is free. For more information, go to http://www.utexas.edu/events/
Thursday, February 14 – Valentine’s Day classroom celebrations
Monday, February 18 – Student Holiday, no school
Monday, February 18 – Parent Teacher conference
Saturday, February 23 – Marathon Kids Final Mile, 9 a.m. Burger Stadium
Tuesday, February 26 – General PTA meeting, 6 p.m.
Thursday, February 28 – Family Skate Night, 6-8:30 p.m.
Friday, March 1 – Ultimate Fitness Challenge
Saturday, March 2 – 5th Grade Volleyball Playday @ Explore UT
Thursday, March 7 – Family Night at Chuck E Cheese 3-9 p.m.
Friday, March 8 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
March 11-15 – Spring Break, no school
Friday, March 22 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Friday, March 29 – Student holiday, no school
Saturday, April 13 – Spring Fling