Summitt Emailer – February 6, 2013
Website for questions, concerns about our locked campus
Do you have questions about Summitt’s Locked Campus Policies? A Summitt parent has created a page for us to gather information, ask questions, and share concerns regarding the campus. You may post your opinions, questions, and suggestions anonymously to this website.
Summitt administrators are working to answer and clarify many of the questions posted on this site. Your comments and feedback will be consolidated and communicated with other concerned parents and Summitt’s administration. On a related note, there will be a General PTA meeting on Feb. 26 with Interim Principal Standish and AISD Safety Director John Gaete regarding campus safety.
BOW WOW Program in February
Students are encouraged to Bike on Wednesday or Walk on Wednesday (BOW WOW). On Feb. 6, 13, 20 and 27, students who bike or walk to school are eligible to be in a drawing to win a bike. The City of Austin’s Child Safety Program will award one girl’s bike and one boy’s bike.
Year of the Snake Celebration!
The year of the Snake is on Sunday, Feb. 10, and The Vietnamese Dual Language Program at Summitt invites you to its annual Tet celebration for the Day Show on Thursday Feb. 7th at 8:50-10:15 am or the Night Show on Friday Feb. 8th at 6-9pm. Each show will have student performances and Lion/Dragon Dance. Tickets for the night show is $3 per person. There is also a fundraising dinner for $7 per plate that night. Special thanks goes to Mr. Robert Pham for creating the beautiful artwork on the stage and the elaborate Snake chandelier in the cafeteria. For more information about the Lunar New Year, click here.
Need Crossing Guard
We have lost our afternoon crossing guard at Amherst and Mosley and are in desperate need to hire someone as soon as possible. If you can spare one hour and get paid doing so, you are who we need!
2:25 – 3:35 MONDAY – FRIDAY; $15.00/DAY
CONTACT: CHRISTI SHORES, CHILD SAFETY PROGRAM SUPERVISOR, email@example.com, 512-784-4479
Celebrate National School Counseling Week
National School Counseling Week is February 4 – 8th, 2013. National School Counseling Week, sponsored by American School Counseling Association/ASCA, highlights the tremendous impact school counselors can have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career.
Please tell our wonderful counselors, Ms. Stogdill and Ms.Cumming, how much we appreciate them. You can send them a note or click here to print out a form.
Parent Teacher Conference Day on Feb. 18
There is no school on Monday, Feb. 18. There will be parent teacher conferences for your child(ren) that day. Click here for a flyer with a list of questions you can ask the teacher.
Thank you for your support at Catfish Parlour!
Thank you to all the families who came out to the Catfish Parlour Family Night on January 30th! Summitt PTA will be receiving a generous donation of $450 from Catfish Parlour for our Family Night. Thanks for making this event a success!
Save the Date: All-Star Active’s Ultimate Fitness Challenge
A new kind of fundraiser mixing fun, fitness and music is on its way, and every student can participate to win prizes and earn money for Summitt! For several weeks in February, students will ask for pledges using cards provided by PTA and All-Star Active. On March 1, all day long, students – grade by grade — will be running through a 10-station obstacle course, collecting points as they go. Ex-Army Rangers and Summitt parents will be on hand to help anyone who needs it; the course is designed for all! The more points they get in the obstacle course, the more funds they can collect. Prizes at the $50, $100 and $200 paid levels! Top 10 percent of sellers can enter a drawing for an Wii Fit, Xbox 360 Kinect, or PlayStation 3. Look for details in Monday folders in February. More information about volunteering for the event will be available soon. See the course in action.
News on Spring Fling
We need 1 or 2 coordinators for Spring Fling on Saturday, April 13. Please contact Julia Fannin, for more information. Her letter to the Summitt Community about the importance of Spring Fling is here.
What is the Spring Fling fundraiser for?
PTA needs to raise at least $15,000 each year to pay our awesome Campus Technology Instructor, Barbara Neill. PTA holds Auctions, Dinner and a Dance that gets our Summitt Community together for fun and fundraising!
Help Now – Here’s How! 4 easy ways:
1. Your business can donate! Do you work at or own a business that can provide Spring Fling with a donation for the auctions?
2. Your favorite local business can donate! Can you ask your favorite restaurant, hair stylist, spa, or other frequently visited location for a donation?
3. Help request donations from past donors! How about taking a ready-made short list of past donors to contact and request a donation for this year?
4. You can donate – it’s tax deductible! Get your 2012 tax deduction NOW by giving PTA a cash donation towards our Spring Fling goal! (we are a 501c(3) organization)
Contact Us Now at firstname.lastname@example.org to help make this critical fundraising event a success!
Remember to purchase your Summitt Yearbook!!! Student artwork will be featured on the cover and back, and your students will be featured within! Pick up an order form on the table in the main hall, or order your yearbook online at: www.inter-state.com/store/preorder and enter the code 191491.
If you choose to order by check, please MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE to Summitt PTA for $20.
AISD and Community Events
– My Healing Place offers a “Parenting Without Conflict” class beginning Monday, Feb. 11. This is for Separated, Divorced, or High Conflict Co-Parents. This is a 12 Week Co-Parenting Class with a separate 12 Week Class for Children. For more information, contact My Healing Place.
– Austin Child Guidance Center is offering a series of FREE workshops for parents on Feb. 21, March 21 and April 18. These workshops address a variety of topics of interest to parents. The workshops are held in the evening (from 6 pm to 7:30 pm) at our center, and free childcare is available. The workshops are offered at no cost, but we have a limit on the number of participants, so please visit our website for more information and to sign up. More information here. There are also a limited number of spots left for the following groups: Social Skills/Making Friends Group, Conflict Resolution Skills/Anger Management Group, and ADHD Parenting Group. Contact the center at 512-451-2242 for more information.
– Family Support Co-op provides free workshops, information and support for families of children with disabilities. The workshop is on Tuesday, February 26 from 6‐8 p.m. at Eastside Memorial High School, 1012 Arthur Stiles Road, Austin, TX 78721. A light meal and childcare will be provided. More info here.
– Austin Learning Academy has free Citizenship classes for those preparing to become United States Citizens. Please call (512) 841-0807. More info here.
– 14th Annual African American Community Heritage Festival is Saturday, February 23 from 1-5 p.m. at Huston Tillotson University, 900 East Chicon St. AACHF offers a family-friendly extravaganza filled with games and vendors; providing a Kid’s Zone with bounce houses, safety demonstrations, arts & crafts, home décor, books, clothing, jewelry, storytelling, health, vision and dental screenings and insurance outreach coupled with dance, giveaway prizes and a live entertainment. More info here.
– The University of Texas has their annual Explore UT Open House on Saturday, March 2 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Summitt 5th Graders will be there for a volleyball event. Explore UT is free. For more information, go to http://www.utexas.edu/events/exploreut/
– 2013 Spring Ball registration is open!! You can register your child right here at www.balcones.net by clicking on the Online Registration System page. Early registration closes Wednesday, February 13, and late registration will begin Sunday, March 3 and will last through March 6. Don’t have a credit card? That’s ok! You can register at the BYS Board Room during one of our in-person registration dates in January and pay with cash or checks. Try-outs for baseball Minor, AAA & Major will be held on February 2nd. Teams will be formed shortly thereafter. There are no try-outs for T-Ball or Coach Pitch. If you have any registration questions please contact the registrar at email@example.com.
Friday, February 8 – Tet Lunar New Year Evening Show, 6-9 p.m.
Thursday, February 14 – Valentine’s Day classroom celebrations
Monday, February 18 – Student Holiday, no school
Monday, February 18 – Parent Teacher conference
Saturday, February 23 – Marathon Kids Final Mile, 9 a.m. Burger Stadium
Tuesday, February 26 – General PTA meeting, 6 p.m.
Thursday, February 28 – Family Skate Night, 6-8:30 p.m.
Friday, March 1 – Ultimate Fitness Challenge
Saturday, March 2 – 5th Grade Volleyball Playday @ Explore UT
Thursday, March 7 – Family Night at Chuck E Cheese 3-9 p.m.
Friday, March 8 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
March 11-15 – Spring Break, no school
Friday, March 22 – Rita’s Italian Ice after school
Friday, March 29 – Student holiday, no school
Saturday, April 13 – Spring Fling